Sunday, July 31, 2011

The Artist's Way


I managed to find a copy of this book, untouched, for just $1.99 at my local Goodwill. It's an interesting read, and some of the exercises are quite informative of one's own subconscious. But it also seems a little lofty, what with the talk of God/the Creator, even though the author states a person who is not of that faith/faithless can use different terms that apply. The morning pages don't really seem to be doing anything for me, because I'm not a writer, but a painter.


I don't know why my creativity fluctuates so much... one day I want to paint, draw, whatever, the next day I want nothing to do with it. I got a nice easel for my birthday, and I bought myself some new oil paints, but I resist my newest painting for some reason. Am I afraid that it will turn out bad? I'm seeing all of these shows and possibilities, but hate the idea of rejection and failure so much... perhaps I am hindering myself on purpose to avoid these things.

I wish Patrick's trip to NYC to try comedy was inspiring me to get over these fears.. but alas, I don't think this is so. At least not today.

How to rid of this creative block? I must do it soon.

0 comments: