Thursday, December 17, 2009

Lykke Li.


Now, I'm not usually one to write posts in adoration of musical artists. I don't usually review because I usually hear things by radio (I love Pandora), or movies. Or someone else's iPod. But every now and then an artist comes along that really gets to me, that blows me away, where at least 90% of his/her/their songs are enjoyable.

My musical taste is rather bizarre. I like alternative, indie, rock, some pop, to classical music, then to some heavy metal. On off days, I like rap. Not the vulgar, cussing-every-second trash that comes out of autotune or whatnot, but people like Missy Elliott and Ludacris somehow get into my brain and make me shake my rump a little. I also like techno and 80s music. I have some Dimmu Borgir CDs. Anyway, to the point.

Does anyone else know Lykke Li? She is a Swedish indie singer. Lately I've been getting enchanted by foreign artists such as Imogen Heap, Fever Ray, and Feist. But Lykke Li has some real charm to her electronic, "powdered-sugar pop" melodies. For Twilight fans, she wrote one of the songs for the New Moon soundtrack titled Possibility. That's when I first heard her, and I was intrigued.

Basically, her stuff is great. It's quirky, it's cute, it's lovable. But some songs, including Possibility and Time Flies, are almost haunting. I definitely suggest checking out her stuff, such as: Breaking It Up, Little Bit, Everybody But Me, and Dance Dance Dance.

Who are some of your favorite artists, ones you listen to over and over again without it getting old?

0 comments: