Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Lovely Bones.

Well, I can only think of one word to sum this movie up: beautiful.

Beware, though, die-hard book fans. For those of you who cringe at such changes made to adaptations like Harry Potter, Dan Brown novels, Twilight, and so on, you will probably not enjoy the parts of The Lovely Bones book that were not put into the film.

Luckily, I'm not one of these people. Sometimes I don't understand why the changes occur, or why things are left out, but I can still enjoy the movie. Plus, I don't want to "see" word-for-word a book; I like some alterations: same meal, different flavors. Also, Peter Jackson and the cast explained the reasons for leaving out some of the harsh violence and the love affair, and I think it's reasonable. The main message of loss and hope are still prevalent in this gorgeous film.

The flow is coherent and consistent. The music fits so well, and I'm glad "Alice" reappeared during the in-between scenes. Saoirse Ronan's performance is stunning, and the raves about her are not unfounded. This movie really pulls at every string one's heart has. The one scene where a little girl hugs Susie as she looks up and cries made me lurch forward with emotion and tears came out without me wanting them to. The sorrow and pain is strong, but makes the hope and reforming of a family that much sweeter.

I only experienced a problem when the ending credits rolled. You see, I live in Tennessee, and... I'll say no further on that, to avoid offense. But this guy behind me blabbed, "This f***ing sucked." It makes me question whether people comprehend what a trailer is. But regardless, if you're not into films like that of My Sister's Keeper, or artistic dramas in general, this film might not be for you.

With that, I give this a solid 5 out of 5 stars. Highly recommended.

5 comments:

Janet Metzger, Artist said...

Ha..that guy behind is one of the reasons I can never get my man to go to a movie theater. They always seem to sit behind us ;-( She just won a Critics Choice Award last night..looking forward to seeing the movie.
your friend,
Janet

Aisling Smith said...

lovely blog, just joined . now off to look and your etsy shop. happy blogging

x said...

Thank you both for commenting. Hope to see you around more! :D

Juliana said...

I am going to have my mother read your love bones review. SHe needs to read the book and see the movie. We lost my younger brother in April---that is why it meant so much to me.

x said...

I'm sorry to hear that about your brother. :( Have her skip the part about the jerk behind me, she shouldn't see that negativity.

Thanks for the kind words. <3